Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Recent Trip to Cyprus

The Island of Cyprus: A Curious blend of Greek, Turkish, British and other European influences, like strong coffee. You can drink traditional coffee, espresso, or take it light, sweet, frothy, and on the rocks as a frappe. Those are very popular there during summer.

I finally saw one of those infamous archaic “toilets” I was warned about several years ago. It was in the old town of Lemesos. It wasn't just a hole in the floor. There were 2 stalls with doors in the Ladies’ Room. Inside of each, the floor was indented and curved in such a way to avoid spillage. There was also a trash bin for paper waste and a toilet tank suspended on the wall, with a roll of toilet tissue sitting on top. And this facility was located right at the bottom of Cleopatra’s Street at the intersection of Freedom Road! I don’t think Cleo would have approved.

Next time I’ll keep looking for a MacDonald’s establishment. The food is nothing special, but I bet the bathrooms are a little more modern!

No comments: