Thursday, August 30, 2007

Enthralling music

I am so excited. I went to the library last night. I love the library! I found some CDs by a spectacular singer, Mario Frangoulis, in the International Popular music section. I had to play it as soon as I got in the car. I told my son, “I love this singer!” He wanted to know who I loved more, him (MF) or Daddy. Then he wanted to know if I loved him (my son) more than Daddy. I told him there were different types of love. But perhaps we should be more careful with that word. “Love” has many meanings, but maybe we could be more clear if we said, “I enjoy eating pizza,” rather than saying “I love pizza!”

But I do have a strong attachment and admiration for the library. I am consistently amazed at how many wonderful things are available for no cost. Of course, I do pay my share of late fines. We brought Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows back a few days late. But we just had to finish it! They only allowed 2 weeks for a book with over 700 pages!!!

Don’t believe me about the verbal impact thing? How about music? You must admit that music and sounds have a noticeable influence on our physiology. Water sounds are very relaxing, or I wouldn’t find those adorable little fountains in so many offices. Some music energizes you, that’s why the exercise gurus play it. Some music elevates the soul.

Last night the librarian was telling me about a musical performance with a powerful, magnetic singer who just enthralled the whole audience (and even the ushers). She used the word “mesmerizing!”

The last time I was enthralled by music was at a live performance by Mario Frangoulis in Tampa in January 2006.

No comments: