Thursday, December 6, 2007

Glistening and Gleaming Holidays

I know the holidays are coming. (Happy Chanukah if you are celebrating already!) The temperature is cool and kids are wearing socks with their flip-flops. They might even wear a sweat shirt with their shorts, or even long pants!

I heard Bing Crosby singing on the radio this morning. A local channel is playing ALL Christmas songs, ALL the time. You see, they have to. Even with the pink flamingoes wearing santa hats, it is just so easy to forget that Christmas will be here in less than 3 weeks!

Sleigh Bells ring, are you listening, in the lane snow is glistening...

You never hear that word, “glistening” except for Christmastime. It’s a sweet word. It carries an image with it. I can see a drop of dew glistening on a leaf. There is no snow here to glisten in the lane.

I also like gleam, glitter and glimmer. I would guess they are Dutch or Germanic in origin. They all mean something like sparkle or shine. Sparkle, now there is a cute word!

Happy Holidays! Hope your holidays glisten and your outfit sparkles and there’s a glimmer in your spouse's eyes when they see you on New Year’s Eve.!

I don't know if that sounds right, but my wish for you is that your most glimmering dreams come true in 2008!

No comments: