Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Talk to Yourself

I have read this book a few times: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself by Shad Helmstetter. This is not a new book, but Helmstetter may have been the first to publish a book about the effect that your words and thoughts have on your attitude, and how your attitude pervades all of your experiences and interactions.

Helmstetter emphasizes repetition and exaggeration. He suggests that instead of saying, "I feel good," say I always feel good! And instead of "I don't overeat," I never overeat.

His statements were short and simple and extreme. I would also like to suggest that they be positive. For example, instead of "I never overeat," try I am completely satisfied after just a small portion of food. I always choose healthy food! I always eat just enough. Or maybe, I always enjoy small healthy portions.

I think the important thing is to be nice to yourself, and be aware of how your words do influence your moods.

No comments: