Thursday, April 8, 2010

Scenic Route

We visited relatives in Cyprus last week. While there we went to Hala Sultan Tekke, as the tomb for Mohammed's first cousin, it is the third most holy site for the Moslems.

The tomb is located on the Salt Lake. The view is beautiful. Palm trees and flowers all around. This time of year the citrus trees are blooming and the fragrance is exquisite.

Leaving the tomb, my husband asked me if I wanted to get on the highway or take the "scenic route." I chose the latter. He is from the area and is familiar with the back roads. We started driving through a field of tall weeds. A dirt path seemed to open up, not very wide, it appeared to be a dirt bike trail. The path was serpentine and very uneven. There had been ample rain this winter and the road appeared to be dry brittle mud, with a rut by the side where water had apparently rushed down during the heavier rains. Now this rut was getting wider and crossing the path from one side to the other, creating a deep crevass in the middle of the path. We had rented a Ford Fiesta, which is quite compact, and I feared it would not emerge if it fell into this rut which was now more like a gorge. We traveled on bravely for awhile, sometimes driving in the tall weeds and rocks on the side of the path, but at one point it appeared to be impassable.

This is when I started crying. Did I say yes to the Scenic Route??? I didn't know it was going to be a scenic RUT!!!! The passengers evacuated the car and my husband had to navigate thru the gorge (on 3 wheels, the left rear wheel took flight and didn't land for a minute or 2. This was quite a sight, but better than having the car turn over which was a very strong possibility.

Now when my husband asked if I wanted to take the scenic route, I assumed he was taking about a back road. Never assume while traveling abroad. They don't care about your safety. They will not have warning signs, or cones or workers directing traffic around a hazard. Proceed at your own risk.

No comments: