Monday, June 7, 2010

Public Speaking

I hate the spotlight.

And several times in TM, members have said that all the attention should be on YOU. I always used visual aids, because I was more comfortable with the audience looking at them than looking at me.

Time to get over it. That's why I'm in TM. I can speak if I'm allowed to prepare the speech and practice.

I do have a talent for facial expressions!

Also, I think I'm funny. But I'm petrified that no one will laugh. Actually I'm petrified that no one will laugh except me. I have a subtle sense of humor and sometimes people don't get it. I did a workshop in costume 2 years ago and no one realized it. No one except people I had been talking to all weekend. I think I could be funny. I could do that stand up thing. Once people start laughing, they usually keep going..... Because I know ther have been studies done and the only thing that consistently makes people laugh is hearing other people laughing. That's why they have laugh tracks on TV. Still I try to be humorous, but the last time I did a speech at TM they didn't laugh at the first one and I got more nervous.

Laughter is a funny thing. Funny strange, not funny ha-ha. Children laugh more than 100 times per day. Adults average about 17 times per day. What a tragedy. When was the last time you had a good belly laugh?

No comments: