Saturday, November 24, 2007

Typographical Error or Inspiration?

Happy Thinksgiving.

Maybe there should be a holiday for thinking. Or is that what Sunday is for? Keep holy the Sabbath day. Spend time in prayer or quiet meditation.

Thinking is not so popular these days. As a matter of fact, some teenagers in my class have told me it gives them a headache. I told them the only way to get past that is to think some more and make sure that they think at least 20 minutes per day. It's like exercise. The brain is like a muscle. If you use it, it gets stronger. If not it atrophies.

I actually believe that it may cause them discomfort. If you do nothing but talk on a cell phone, IM your friends, eat junk food, and sleep, I believe it could feel like pain if you read or concentrate for 20 minutes or so.

I can't imagine a world without books. I read voraciously. I often listen to audiobooks, but that's because I'm in the car and can't read a book and drive at the same time.

These are just some of my thoughts about reading and thinking.

No comments: