Friday, September 7, 2007

Rapture

I am listening to a novel called Left Behind. It is absolutely terrifying. I never thought too much about the Rapture, or when I did I figured the righteous would disappear and most people wouldn’t even notice. But in LaHaye and Jenkins’ vision, 30-40% of people vanish at the same time all over the world. This causes chaos, and multiple traffic accidents and major catastrophes.(Is that redundant?) I would definitely grieve the losses, but it seems pretty obvious in this situation that the vanished ones are the lucky ones. They don’t have to deal with the plagues or the nasty people left behind. I think I would be happy for them and extremely sorry for myself. In the book a major character is a reporter and he sees this situation as an opportunity to get the news scoop over all other journalists. It’s all in your perspective.

I remember a friend of mine, Barbara, saying that major airlines always paired up one Christian pilot with another non-Christian, so that someone would be left to land the plane if the Rapture occurred! I thot it was hysterical at the time. (Anyone know if this is true?)

See philologsblog.blogspot.com for explanation of the word, "thot."

I didn't see the movie based on this novel, but it would probably make a suspenseful movie, that would make one think.

No comments: