Saturday, September 22, 2012

Why was hypnosis invented?

This is an interesting question. There are many applications for which hypnosis is the best choice, and sleeping problems are among the first that come to mind. Because hypnosis is a natural state and we are all in hypnosis just before sleep and just after waking, it leads to sleep very quickly and easily. Many people listen to a CD or MP3 player while preparing to go to sleep.

But I don't think hypnosis was invented. How could something natural be invented? It took some time and imagination to find out how to use this receptive state for positive benefit. I think the first one to discover it was Mom. Remember Mom saying I'll kiss it and make it better? Mom was using positive intention, expectation and suggestion to take away the sting of a cut or scrape. I knew how to hypnotize others before I had a child, but when I first kissed a boo-boo, I knew mothers had been doing this for thousands of years.

So who was the first to use hypnosis? This is very hard to establish. They have found some hieroglyphics that seem to contain information about a healing method where the client lies down and the practitioner talks to them. Sounds like hypnosis to me.  But they never wrote down the conversations that mothers had with their children. So I conclude the mother of hypnosis is ... Mom!

1 comment:

jean said...

Great post. Hadn't thought of hypnosis that way thanks!